I’ve always been enamored with Jesus’ relationship with his mom. Not in a weird Catholic way (she’s just another sinner like you and me) but in an inquisitive “I want to know how he was raised” kind of way. I came across a short devotion in Calvin Miller’s book The Book of Jesus: A Treasury of the Greatest Stories and Writings about Christ titled “Twenty-Five Questions for Mary” by Max Lucado. I’m not an avid reader of Mr. Lucado but his questions were very thought-provoking. I think one joy of heaven will be getting to sit around a fire and talk individually and joyfully about everything the Lord has done in our lives. I’m sure Mary has some good stories. After his initial twenty-five, I listed a few I’ve wondered from time to time.
Mr. Lucado’s from God Came Near
1. What was it like watching him pray?
2. How did he respond when he saw other kids giggling during the service at the synagogue?
3. When he saw a rainbow, did he ever mention a flood?
4. Did you ever feel awkward teaching him how he created the world?
5. When he saw a lamb being led to the slaughter, did he act differently?
6. Did you ever see him with a distant look on his face as if he were listening to someone you couldn’t hear?
7. How did he act at funerals?
8. Did the thought ever occur to you that the God to whom you were praying was asleep under your own roof?
9. Did you ever try to count the stars with him….and succeed?
10. Did he ever come home with a black eye?
11. How did he act when he got his first haircut?
12. Did he have any friend by the name of Judas?
13. Did he do well in school?
14. Did you ever scold him?
15. Did he ever have to ask a question about Scripture?
16. What do you think he thought when he saw a prostitute offering to the highest bidder the body he made?
17. Did he ever get angry when someone was dishonest with him?
18. Did you ever catch him pensively looking at the flesh on his own arm while holding a clod of dirt?
19. Did he ever wake up afraid?
20. Who was his best friend?
21. When someone referred to Satan, how did he act?
22. Did you ever accidentally call him Father?
23. What did he and his cousin John talk about as kids?
24. Did his brothers and sisters understand what was happening?
25. Did you ever think, That’s God eating my soup?
Did Jesus and his younger brothers have any inside jokes?
Were you always worried that it was “the” time yet?
How did he feel about the religious leaders while he was growing up?
How did his laughter sound like?
What were the things that made him angry?
Was he an outcast in his teenage years or accepted by all the young lads and gals?
Did he ever do any miracles?
Did he notice true beauty wherever he went and make it known to everyone that was near him?
Did he ever get sick?
Did he point out when the preacher wasn’t getting the text correct in the sermon?